loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

And what would you like to live without?

Got up this morning and made breakfast for a lady friend. At that time I was told the water would be off for 2 hours "a little later this morning." Panic mode! Bret said "Fill the bathtub with water! Fill all the pans!" Now, I do not normally use that much water in a week so I opted for a gallon pitcher.

Then the appointed time arrived. How many times did I start to was my hands, flush the stool, really want to mop the kitchen floor, and fill the duck pond? And why was that? Normally that time of day is spent on the loom or one of the sewing machines or in town.

But not this day! Today is the one day I needed the water on, because I could not have it at my beck and command. Had it been the electricity I would have wanted to watch television, or run the air conditioner.

Think about this people! Less than 100 years ago running water in the house and electricity all through the house were the oddity rather than the norm. There were very few roads, because there were very few thing needing a road. Computers were unheard of, although I am sure some one had dreamed them by then.

Now think further; what would you give up if you had to give up something? My guess is nothing. You could not function without your ipod, cell phone, computer (and chances are those are in one item), car, pace maker, and on and on, because the things that were in everyday use 100 years ago can not be found today.

If they are found they are antiques or reproductions. And they make reproductions why? Because we long for the "good old days", but not enough to give up the conveniences that we now take for granted every day!

So today I am going to give up one of these things that I have been taking for granted and see how bad I miss it. Just have to decide what it will be. Hmmm! Oh, I already did, I gave up water for 2 hours. Now to report on how that worked out for me: It sucked!!!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...