loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Grandma Haas

As I mentioned, I lived with Grandma and Great Grandma for a time. I dearly loved my Grandma. She had suffered a stroke and used a walker. One arm was pretty useless and that was back in the time that physical therapy was not practiced. I guess she did her own therapy because she still managed to crochet.
Grandma was 72 and Great Grandma was over 95 when I lived with them. They arose every morning at sun up and were dressed in their little cotton dresses with a full apron over the dress, shoes, the long stocks that passed for nylons, glasses on their nose and every hair in place.
Breakfast had been laid out the night before. The egg poacher filled with water set over 1 pilot light and the drip-a-lator coffee maker full of water set on the other pilot light. One half of an orange was at each place setting setting. Jelly and all the condiments were covered in the middle of the table. Breakfast would be cooked and served in 5 minutes. I then put all the dishes under the sink to await for my return from school.
My Grandma was a short, plumpish woman and had golden hair as opposed to white. I still have her braid. She had the sweetest smile, like angels would have. My mother was the spitting image of her in later years.
Great Grandma was a very regal woman. She was tall, thin, aristocratic nose and piercing eyes. She moved very slowly, but then she was 95 years old and the main caregiver to her 72 year old disabled daughter! What did I expect?
These women never raised their voice, but I was always most happy to do what ever they asked. Every night, with out fail, we took turns reading from the family Bible. We never ate with out praying over the meal. We never slept with out praying we would still be there in the morning. And it always worked. Right up until Grandma had another stroke.
If I could have one wish for the world it would be for everyone to have Grandmas like I did. If these 2 women had been in charge of the world there would not be war, pestilence, or poverty and violence. Just a world of people setting around and never raising their voices, doing what they knew in their souls was the right thing to do. Making sure that their little corner of the world was in peace and harmony.

After all, if we each took care of our own little corner, there would be peace and harmony. If we took care of each other in a compassionate manner, we would have no time nor energy for the back biting and in fighting that leads to strife and war.
I think I will just practice what I preach!!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...